Clean Slate Program
The Alameda County Public Defender's Office launched a county-wide Clean Slate Program in April 2013. We handle approximately 1200 cases per year, and we have a success rate of over 90%.
We also collaborate with the East Bay Community Law Center to help our clients overcome barriers to employment, housing, education, public benefits and civic participation. In order to receive assistance potential clean slate clients should come to our office and complete an interview.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- You do not have any pending criminal cases
- You are not currently on parole
Possible Clean Slate Options
- Reduce felonies to misdemeanors for qualifying offenses
- Early termination of felony or misdemeanor probation
- Dismissal of case when probation is completed
- Dismissal of infraction cases
- Dismissal of local prison cases
- Certificates of Rehabilitation for state prison and PC 290 cases
- Sealing arrest records when factually innocent
Interview Times and Locations
TEMPORARY CLEAN SLATE CLINIC PROCESS:
We are not currently accepting walk-in interviews.
For Clean Slate Services, please call during these office hours:
9:00-11:00 a.m. on Wednesday and Thursday
- Clean Slate Program Flyer (PDF - 124kb) *
- Condado de Alameda Clinica de Limpieza de Antecedentes (PDF - 199kb) *
- Clean Slate Program Fact Sheet (PDF - 46kb) *
* Portable Document Format (PDF) file requires the free Adobe Reader.
** To view Microsoft Office Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents, you can download a free trial version of Office 365. Per Microsoft, you will be able to continue viewing files even after the trial has expired.
DISCLAIMER: This site is meant to provide information of a general nature which you should verify with an attorney before relying upon it. It does not provide legal advice and is not meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice you should ALWAYS contact an attorney.